You’ll enjoy making Punjabi Dal Tadka as swiftly as you buy tuvar dal online! Keep on reading, much interesting on the entitled recipe is coming up. Uncover the surprise element in the end.
Punjabi Dal Tadka is served with dal, naan or rice is the chart-topping dish in any
Indian restaurant’s menu. Not just in restaurants, it is one of the most popular recipes cooked in almost every Indian household in a repeat mode.
Thanks to the nutrition-rich & creamy texture teamed by Chana Dal & Toor Dal, you enjoy this flavourful dish.
Soaking Rentio Toor Dal & Chana Dal is a must whether you make Punjabi Dal Tadka or any other dals. If not for 2 hours, 45 minutes will still work.
Ingredients For Dal
- ½ Cup Chana Dal
- ½ Cup Toor Dal
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- ¼ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Green Chilli (chopped)
- ½ Cup Dal water (that remains after soaking)
- ½ tsp Kasoori Methi
- Salt (to taste) For Tadka
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Garlic (chopped)
- 2 Red whole chilies
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
Let’s prepare the dal first…
- Soak chana dal & toor dal for 2 hours. You can either soak both dals together in a single bowl or soak them differently
- Once soaked, add the dal in a pressure cooker with enough water covering the dal. Add turmeric powder & salt to it. Pressure-cook the dal for three to four whistles.
Next is gravy preparation:
- Heat oil in a Pan & adds cumin seeds. As they turn brown and crackled, add ginger-garlic paste and mix well.
- Add onion and sauté it until it turns golden pink in texture.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and allow it to cook a little more.
- Add salt, coriander powder, Garam masala, and green chili to it and cook for a minute.
- Add dal water that remained after soaking to the pan and add Kasoori methi too.
If your dal accidentally turns spicy, you can balance the flavors by using tamarind juice or lemon juice while eating.
- Lastly, add the boiled dal to the mixture and stir well. Make sure that the consistency is neither too thick nor thin. You can add more water if needed.
Adding Tadka to the Dal
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Allow it to splatter first.
- Add chopped garlic, red whole chilies (Shimla Mirch), and ginger and cook for a few seconds.
- Now add red chili powder and chopped coriander leaves.
- Tadka is ready, pour it over the dal & enjoy! Piping hot dal is ready for serving…
But, wait. What about that Punjabi touch?!
Make your Punjabi Dal Tadka taste differently with this technique…
Try adding a Smoky flavour to your Dal with “dhungar technique” which makes any North Indian Recipes interesting.
You can do so by putting a small steel bowl in dal tadka and put a burnt charcoal in it. Add a dollop of ghee over the charcoal and tightly cover the entire vessel. Hold it for a few minutes with borders covered. Done!
It seems like you’re all set to buy dal online now 🙂