Dal Pakwan is a popular & traditional Sindhi Breakfast recipe specially made during festivities. It’s a great delight for anyone bored with regular dals. You can enjoy this amazing recipe for brunch, lunch or dinner too.
You may like to read: Badam Halwa with Rentio Toor Dal Twist
To all those who don’t know much about this, it is a crispy fried puri savored with spicy dal. You can have tangy tamarind chutney or hot and spicy green chutney as desired.
Dal Pakwan is an easy-to-make & nearly effortless recipe. If you like dals to be spicy, red chilli powder can be added for a spicy flavor. The dal can be garnished with finely chopped coriander and green chillies.
Meanwhile, if you want to make Dal Pakwan originally like Sindhis, don’t forget to add a spoonful of ghee while kneading the dough. You will be thankful for this tip as it will add heavenly aroma and next-level rich flavor to overall savory.
India’s favorite Rentio Toor Dal at Best Prices now Online!
Dal Pakwan Recipe Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered red chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind chutney
- 1 pinch dry mango powder
- 1 handful of stem removed coriander leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon green chutney
For The Main Dish
- 125 gm soaked chana dal
- 3 stems removed curry leaves
- 3 chopped green chilli
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 cup water Method
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 chopped tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 1 pinches salt
- The dough needs to be prepared first. Take a bowl and add all the ingredients required for the dough and mix them till the semi-soft dough is achieved. You can either keep the prepared dough aside for 30 minutes or make small balls of it. Make sure that the balls are enough to make flat disks of 6 to 8 cm.
- By the time the dough is set to rest, you can start preparing the dal. Pressure cook the chana dal until you get a soft texture. Once boiled, you can add turmeric powder and salt to the dal and mix it well.
- Make sure that the consistency of the dal is not too thin. Allow it to cook on a low flame. Once done, take it off the stove and keep aside.
- Take a pan to prepare the tampering. Heat ghee in the pan and add cumin seeds, green chillies, and tomatoes. Sauté it for a minute then add curry leaves and stir fry for a minute and then tamper it over the dal.
- Once the dal is ready, it’s the time to fry the puris. Roll the balls to flat puris of 6 to 8 cm size & lightly prick them with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and keep it at the moderate flame. Fry the puris or Pakwans until they turn crispy brown. Drain the excess oil and serve hot Pakwans with dal.
Buy Dal Online from Rentio: 83+ Years Old Brand of India
Top the Pakwans with dal and garnish with chopped onions and fresh coriander.
A nicely prepared crispy puri and delicious dal will make your day when served with equally yummy chutneys.
If you find this recipe as a must-try one, it’s a good time to impress your loved ones.